We now manually approve all new user accounts due to a large influx of spam bots. Accounts are normally approved within 48 hours.
If you need any help with using this Wiki, please ask here: TalkFord.com Wiki Submission Forum
Window Winder Mechanism Replacement
|How long does this take?||30-40 Mins ish|
Philips head screwdriver
Flat head screwdriver
10mm ( i think ) spanner/socket
T25 Torx Bit
T30 Torx Bit ( i think )
Sharp Cutting Knife
Silicon Sealant ( possible )
Extra Person or Sticky tape
Unclip the electric window switch wiring from the door panel / speaker connection plate.
Now undo the screws in the speaker connection plate & the door handle support/fixing bracket. ( 2 screws in the bracket & 7 in the speaker unit )
- The speaker can stay in place on the connection plate.
You should be left by something looking like this ( piccy below ).
Now with care remove the top & 2 sides of the foam weather seal from the door ( a sharp knife used on the sealant usually does the trick but some heat may also help, the choice on how to do this is up to you ).
- Leave as much of the bottom edge as possible connected to the door as that way you may get away without having to re-seal the weather seal as the factory stuff can sometimes be sticky enough to re-use a couple of time before silicon sealant or similar is required.
Once you have the weather seal peeled down suitably ( see piccy above ) then you can get on with undoing whats required to remove the mechanism :-
Undo the winder motor from the unit ( 3 torx bolts ) & move it out the way still attached to the wiring loom
- ( unless your swapping that too in which case remove it & then unplug it from the door loom )
Push the window down about half way to allow access for the following step
Undo the 2 nuts holding the window in place ( one found in each opening into the inner door panel ) until the window is able to be pulled free from the clamp, these nuts should not need fully undoing to remove the window.
- ( once the window is out your will either need a spare person to hold it up or use the sticky tape to secure the window to the upper section of the door frame to stop it dropping down ( the rubber seals may have enough resistance to hold the window on there own once its pushed all the way back up but its best to be safe etc )
Now undo the 5 torx screws highlighted in red in the piccy above
- ( again these don't need undoing fully unless you need them for the replacement unit )
Now use a pair of pliers or similar & squeeze the white plastic clip ( shown in the piccy above highlighted in yellow ) through the door panel to undo the final fixing point for the mechanism
Once that last clip is undone the whole winder mechanism should be loose & able to be pushed up a little so the screw heads clear the holes in the door panel and you can then move the mechanism about & extract it from the door through the large hole in the door panel ( highlighted in the above picture in Orange )
The refitting procedure is basically a reversal of the removal procedure, only real difference is you don't need the knife any more but may need some silicone sealant to re-seal the weather panel to the door if the factory sealant is not sticky enough to re-seal itself.
Still In Progress ( similar procedure to fronts just different locations for the screws etc & no piccies to help out yet but they will come sometime so bare with me )